Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Purging Caveat :/

For those of you who, like me, are great at starting a project and not so good at finishing, some advice: make sure the proper conditions are met before beginning a Purge Project! This morning, despite the weather prediction of 100 degrees in my town, I completely unloaded my daughter's dresser and began to sort all undies, pj's, ballet clothes, mattress covers, etc. Four large drawers of stuff. I had said stuff in little piles all over the room and was doing pretty well, if I do say so myself ;) when wham!!! The temperature suddenly hit "Way Too High To Work" on the thermometer. So now the stuff must sit there till tomorrow, when the thermometer is predicted to read, "Much More Conducive To Getting Things Done". When something is sorted into neat little piles and is easily stepped around, there is the risk that the Purge Project will remain unfinished, at least for a while. Not good! The longer stuff sits, the longer you are tempted to keep it, or justify it's being there when you know it shouldn't be!
Let's face it: If this were easy for all of us, there wouldn't be so much stuff to purge in the first place. Let's set ourselves up to succeed in this. Keep a few simple rules, rules you know you personally need: Finish what you start. Set a time limit and don't quit to check Facebook, or answer the phone or watch TV. Have bags at the ready. Have a destination for your excess stuff and take it to that destination. Failing to follow through means your neatly bagged excess is just sitting around your garage, not blessing anyone. If it's still on your property, it's still something that needs attending to. Do you really need one more thing to attend to?
I thought not!

2 comments:

bethany said...

You are doing such a great job!

Jennifer @ Quiverfull Family said...

This totally happens to me too, but mostly I just run out of energy in the middle of a big project!